Monday, July 16, 2012

A Woman Obsessed.

Not unlike Heidi Swanson (who started 101cookbooks because she was collecting too many cookbooks and making too few recipes), I also have a bit of a cookbook situation on my bookshelf. Some call me a hoarder. Others, cultured. Fewer, inspired. Either way, I'm a woman obsessed with a good cookbook. My idea of relaxation is curling up with one on the couch and devouring it like a novel.

In case you're in the mood for some inspiration - or are generally nosy and want to know what I've been reading lately - here is a short list of my current favorites:


Not a cookbook in the traditional sense (no pictures! stay with me), Tamar Adler writes for the everyday cook and teaches invaluable lessons in food preparation, planning, thoughtfulness, and creativity in the kitchen. More than anything, she makes you feel like you already are a cook and that you have the gift of improvisation.

My desert island cookbook. I cook from this on a weekly basis and have yet to be disappointed. My favorite part about this book is that each recipe has no more than 8 ingredients and grains, cheeses, proteins, and nuts are completely adaptable and interchangeable for what you have on hand. Personal favorites include: Breakfast Frittata, Linguine with Grated Zucchini, Mushroom Casserole, & Cabbage with White Beans.

The baking bible to end all baking bibles. My Irish Soda Bread was based off one of these recipes. I also made some dreamy blondies  from this book.  The dream is to be a baker for America's Test Kitchen. Can I get a witness, Christopher Kimball?


Pure eye candy. Vegetarian recipes from award-winning London restaurant, Ottolenghi. So far, I've actually only stared at this book. Stared and admired. You'll be the first to know when I try out a recipe.

Very Fond of Food
My childhood was built on a foundation of Roald Dahl books. His granddaughter, Sophie, (the heroine of The BFG! Nerd alert!) was clearly also blessed with the gift of words. The book is divided into seasons and she prefaces and ends each section with a nostalgic story from her life. I also like getting a feel for British ingredients and techniques. This book is how I learned about gooseberries.  

How to Cook Everything Vegetarian
Useful. Also doubles as a weapon.

Idol caliber. But I'm pretty sure I didn't need to tell you that. This book is full of fun anecdotes, life lessons, and cookie dough. Favorites that I've made so far include Brown Butter Blueberry Muffins (ZOMG) and Vanilla Bean Snickerdoodles.

Books not to read: Fifty Shades of Grey. Just...no. Decidedly does not belong on the bookshelf. Or in or around anyone's brain piece.

4 comments:

  1. We love Plenty - I'm excited for you to make your first meal from it! You have me wanting to check out An Everlasting Meal and Super Natural Everyday! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you have any specific recs! And those two books have changed the way I approach food - highly recommended!

      Delete
  2. Hey Alexis!! I'm just finding your blog and I love it!! So cute and informative. I know nothing about baking but feel so knowledgeable after reading :). Can't wait to read along with you!!

    ReplyDelete