Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Blueberry Crumble


Whelp.

I've done did it. After a recent trip to the farmers market and an extra push in the form of oatmeal, cinnamon, and copious amounts of brown sugar, I have, by my own volition, created a dessert that boasts fruit as the primary ingredient. And dare I say...I actually liked it.

Who thought I'd see the day when my market spoils looked like this? Definitely not I.


The tiny hairs on the berries still sort of freak me out. Like I said: incorporate enough sugar and butter, and we're golden. 

Most (if not all) of you are probably well-aware of the fact that crumbles are heavenly. And you'll love this one. It is so easy to make (silly easy), the presentation is flawless (in a messy/beautiful kind of way), and it tastes like summer (which as of very recently, to me, tastes of fresh berries and warm oatmeal cookies. And ice cream). Win win win.


Blueberry Crumble
recipe from my mom

Ingredients:
3 c. blueberries (fresh or frozen)
2 tbsp. lemon juice (optional)
2/3 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. quick-cooking oats
1/3 c. softened butter
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt





Instructions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Arrange the blueberries in an ungreased baking dish. (Isn't this one so fun? It was a gift from my sister via Anthropologie. Little known fact: teal and lime green is a favorite color combo of mine.) Sprinkle the dish with lemon juice (I didn't have lemons on hand so I forwent this part.)

Mix together all other ingredients (brown sugar through salt) and combine until mealy. I find that my hands are the best tool for this kind of work. Get in there!

Sprinkle the crumble on top of the blueberries.

Bake until the topping is light brown and the blueberries are hot, about 30 minutes. 


Best served messy, and warm. With ice cream. 


No comments:

Post a Comment